Wednesday, November 24, 2010

In My Family, We Eat Dressing!

A big ol' dish of dressing just waiting to be devoured. This pic is from Thanksgiving 2009 at my house. My sister is hosting it this year.

There are many reasons Thanksgiving ranks high on my list as a favorite holiday. It is true that I love spending time with my family. While it’s not like I don’t get to see them every single week (we attend church together - the whole lot of us) days like Thanksgiving are special. People are more relaxed and less rushed, there are board and card games to be played and football to be watched. And there is dressing to eat!

Dressing. That fabulous side dish to the the turkey. I liken it somewhat to Ed McMahon. Just as The Tonight Show would not have been the same without Johnny’s faithful sidekick, Thanksgiving would not be the same without dressing. In fact, if I could only eat one thing at Thanksgiving and had to choose between turkey or dressing, I’d opt for the carbs.

I know in some parts of the country people call it stuffing. I even read somewhere that the term stuffing is most commonly used in the south and east. I had to disagree with this, at least with the part about the south. I don’t think I have ever heard any born and bred southerner call it stuffing.

I believe they say in the turkey = stuffing, while out of the turkey = dressing.

So, today my mom is busy preparing her dressing mixture. She always makes it the day before so that it can soak up more flavor. It is absolutely delicious. I thought of selling copies of her recipe but, in the spirit of the season, decided to pass it along free of charge. Plus, you only have to Google the word “dressing” and you get about 5 million hits. Enjoy!


Betty’s Corn Bread Dressing

1 or 2 skillets of corn bread, depending on how much you want.
2 or 3 slices of bread.
4 or 5 stalks of celery - chopped
1 or 2 onions - chopped
dash of salt and pepper
about a teaspoon of sage and poultry seasoning
2 eggs well beaten
1 box of Stovetop Stuffing Dressing mix
Crumble corn bread and loaf bread.
Add all the other ingredients.
Put in covered container and refrigerate.
When ready to cook, add enough broth from the turkey to make the mixture somewhat soupy.
Bake in oven for an hour or a little longer.


2 comments:

Michelle said...

We always call it dressing here in KY. Love the cornbread version. THE BEST!

Julie Harward said...

I'm for dressing too...your recipe looks great! I like your blog a bunch...come say hi some time :D