Tuesday, September 28, 2010

A Bird + A Lawyer + A Ham = A Classic


So Ren went to TPAC today on a school field trip to see a production of To Kill a Mockingbird. I know. I was also somewhat jealous. Of course, had it actually starred Gregory Peck I would have been, in the words of another southern gal near and dear to my heart, "pea green with envy." I would also have been somewhat shocked, as he's been dead for a few years now.

Is there anyone out there who has read the book and/or seen the movie and doesn't love it/them? If so, I'm going to put you on my church's prayer list. You are obviously suffering from some fever and are in need.

Having read the book I think the movie did it justice. Yes, it left out a few details. However, it remained true to the spirit penned by Ms. Lee. And the character portrayals were just icing on the cake, even those in the minor roles. Remember Miss Dubose? "Don't you say 'hey' to me you ugly girl!"

I have mentioned it before but had John-Heath been a little girl his name would have been Scout. And you know what that would have meant, don't you? He/she would have had to dress as a ham for Halloween at least once.



Well friends, goodnight from Maycomb.

images via

2 comments:

Kate Spears said...

we were leaving cracker barrel (naturally) sunday after breakfast and the southern beau made the statement "if i were an old lady, i'd definitely keep a gun in my lap at all times" and what did i say? "just like mrs. dubose!" he didn't get the reference though. he has learned that it is impossible for me to refrain from hollering "Poooork" whenever i'm cooking the other white meat for dinner. oh tkam....my heart is full for thee.

Tire Swing Mom said...

Kate,
Were we separated at birth? I think a look at our birth certificates might be in order.