Monday, July 5, 2010

100 Facts About Me - The Final Twenty, Finally!!!

81. I had long hair in the 2nd grade. Many times I wore it clipped back with barrettes. During naptime, when our heads were supposed to be down on our arms, I would eeever so slowly reach into my hair and unattach the barrettes. Then the others at my table and I would use them for a game of "spin the barrette". The rules to this game were simple. 1.) A person would spin the barrette. 2.) Whoever the clapsed end pointed to when it stopped spinning was who the spinner liked. I know what you're thinking...it boggles the mind that Parker Bros. never caught on to what a genius game we had going back then and mass-marketed it.

82. I somehow ended up wearing the same shirt for my fourth grade school picture as I had for my third grade school picture. The only difference? A little maturing had begun to take place and a certain undergarment would have come in handy. Boy! Am I glad our school didn't start publishing yearbooks until my 6th grade year!

83. I am not a morning person, as you may already know. Even so, I was nicknamed Sunshine by a fellow teacher (herself not a morning person either from what I can remember) many years ago while at Guild Elementary.

84. This same person and I actually had a contest once to see just how early we could show up at school (as we were typically always late). I don't remember now who won (so it must have been my friend) but I do remember walking in at about 6 that morning with my hair up in curlers and running in to my assistant principal, Mr. Nolen.

85. I am a GRITS (Girl Raised In The South).

86. I also like to eat grits - naturally, with lots of butter and sugar.

87. One of the first books I bought my husband was the Encyclopedia of Southern Culture. I purchased it as a Christmas gift for $49.99 in 1989 or 90. The book still resides in our home.

88. The books currently on my nightstand include The Guernsey Potato Peel Pie and Literary Society, Raising the Spirited Child, The Strong-Willed Child, and 1-2-3 Magic Parenting. Hmmm, I am beginning to see a possible pattern emerge with those last few.

89. My husband is the co-author of the book A Celebration of Houses Built Before 1900 in Sumner County, Tennessee. If you were to visit the Library of Congress you would be able to see a copy of the book. Of course, you could also see it if you were to visit the Sumner County Archives in Gallatin or just come to my house. I know, this one is really not a fact about me, but my name is mentioned on the inside of the book jacket so I'm going to count it. Seriously, it is a lovely book full of beautiful homes and stories.

90. The secret ambition of my heart throughout school was to become a playwright or an actor and live in New York. I guess this little blog and a few church Christmas plays will have to suffice.

91. I have passed out in public, to my knowledge, three times. Once at pre-band-camp the summer before my freshman year (you guessed it...I locked my knees), once while working at Burger King (the summer before my senior year) - I was waiting on a customer and just remember waking up on the floor looking skyward at the menu - and finally, once in my classroom in front of my students (or at least in front of those seated close by my desk). I was not feeling well anyway and, from a seated position, reached over to pick something up off the floor and stood up too fast.

92. In addition to being prone to passing out, I am also a little clumsy. ACtually, I am a LOT clumsy. I remember falling twice while teaching at Guild (yes, aaalll the way to the floor) in front of students. The first was in the classroom after allowing the students to bring their trays back to the room to eat with me. Walking toward my desk I stepped in bean juice that had been spilled on the floor and slid like Ty Cobb or Rickey Henderson stealing home right up under my desk. I think my comment at the moment was "WHO SPILLED THE BEANS?". The second time was also during lunch, this time in the school cafeteria. I had just picked up my tray and glass of tea and was walking toward the door when I stepped on something - not sure what, probably a stupid grape - and landed all sprawled out on the floor in front of about 150 students. I did manage to hang on to my tea though and I am pretty sure I remember praying something like "Please, dear Lord, just let me die".

93. My favorite fruit - watermelon. (Yes, I know. I am really stretching it now, but I am running low on things to tell you) Favorite vegetable - my mom's green beans. Favorite food - too many to name but chicken salad and chicken casserole come to mind. Favorite drink - fruit tea. Favorite sweet - again, from mom, banana pudding.

94. Least liked food as a child that I would give $1,000 right now to taste again - my Pa Frazier's biscuits. He frequently made a big batch and kept them on a plate underneath an old metal cake plate lid. Whenever we visited that was one of the first things to do, look under the cake lid and hope for cake. Usually though we were met with the disappointing sight of a mound of flour, buttermilk, and lard in the form of biscuits. On a good day Cracker Barrel serves up a poor imitation. As a side note, I have often wondered what happened to that cake plate lid. I wish I had thought to ask for that. I hope it landed with someone in the family.

95. I would also love to hear Pa Frazier tell a good ghost story again. I love a good ghost story. I think I would request the one told to all the older grandchildren called "Raw Hide and Bloody Bones". As the youngest of the grandchildren I was not privy to as many of his stories.

96. I didn't get to be around my maternal grandfather, Pa Vernon, as much. He died when I was very young. However, I do remember enjoying visits to his house (except for his chicken coop. I was scared of that). Once when my grandfather needed to go to town I asked if I could go and was told no. Not to be left behind, I hauled my little stowaway butt right up on the running board of his truck. Luckily, Pa Vernon did not drive very fast and stopped just a short distance up the little country road to say hello to a neighbor, who happened to see me and rat me out to my grandfather. I don't remember it but I have been told that Pa really burned my backside up good over that little episode.

97. My moral compass is my father, who once made me return a package of crackers to a buffet-style restaurant in Panama City Beach, Florida when I was 12 or 13 because a sign posted inside asked that food not be taken from it. We had already driven a few miles up the road when he noticed that I had them. I have failed miserably in my life to live up to his character but I am so glad to have him as an example by which to aspire.

98. I am the proud mother of a beautiful, tall (5'10), talented, and creative daughter who grows more beautiful each year and never ceases to amaze me with her ability to write some really good stuff - most of which I have found secretly stashed away in her room or in random notebooks. Maybe she will take after her father in that area.
99. I am the proud mother of a handsome, funny, and smart little boy who cracks me up just about every day while he goes through childhood as a policeman, fireman, helicopter gunship pilot, ambulance driver, doctor, teacher, preacher, cowboy, Indiana Jones, Barney Fife, and Ernest T. Bass.


100. I never, ever could have imagined it would be so hard to come up with 100 facts to write about one's self. But, trust me, it is. Try it. You'll see.

I really hope you have enjoyed reading all these fine little morsels about my life. I'm sure you feel much more enriched having done so. And if you are joining our program already in session please feel free to go back through our archives and read the first 80. Oh, and overlook any typos or spelling errors. This one was actually written in the wee small hours over several nights.

No comments: