Thursday, February 7, 2013

If I Only Had a Heart...

Every now and then something happens during the school day that will stay with me forever - or at least as long as all my mental faculties remain.  

For example, I will always remember the day, years ago, I showed up at school wearing no makeup (I was late - surprise, surprise - and there was no time for it).  It was picture day so I had brought my makeup case to school and proceeded to put it on during a break.  When I returned to my classroom one of my favorite little girls remarked, "Wow, Ms. Tyla. You look just like Ms. Piggy!"  In her sweet, little, innocent way she had meant it as a compliment.  I failed her anyway.  Just kidding.

Today, I somewhat lost my cool with a student.  I'm a librarian.  I rarely lose my cool.  In traffic?  Often.  At home?  Sometimes.  At school?  Again, rarely.

I won't go into the particulars of what the student had done except to say after a couple weeks of a certain issue my sharp tongue was justified.

An hour later the student returned with a gift as an apology, I assumed, for their behavior...an origami heart inscribed with the words "the tin man's heart".

As this student handed me the folded paper they said...

The tin man doesn't need this anymore, so he gave it to me and I'm giving it to you.

I guess that's better than being compared to the Scarecrow.

I don't know about you, but this gal is ready for the weekend.

No comments: