Friday, January 20, 2012

An Unusual Field Trip



A Facebook friend posted the other night about how the highlight of a grandson's trip to the zoo was being able to see the city's landfill. I am assuming it was viewed from the car on the way to or from the zoo. Let me tell ya, I could sure relate to that.

As the mom to both a daughter and son I can attest to the fact that it is much easier and requires little effort (at least at this age) to fascinate boys. You know how babies/toddlers will play with the box a toy comes in more than the actual toy? Well, that's kind of what it's like raising John-Heath.


My friend's post reminded me of a day we spent in Nashville over Christmas break. We were there to do a little furniture shopping for a new sofa and chairs. Now, if you'll allow me to bird walk a bit here, I have a confession to make. I am NOT a shopaholic. My sister received all the shopping genes and there just weren't any left for me. She loves to shop and can spend hours doing so. Not me. I want to go in, find something I like, buy it, and be done with it. Of course, when you're shopping for furniture it's more prudent to shop around and put a little more thought into the purchase.


Anyhoo, I was afraid John-Heath would just be bored out of his mind, but to my surprise he very much enjoyed the day. By the time we left Sprintz, empty-handed I might add, he was familiar with every nook and cranny of the place. He loves to explore...anywhere and anything. He also loves to ask questions.


As we headed home and because he is interested in all things that deal with the criminal justice profession, John mentioned to him that we would pass close by the old Tennessee State Penitentiary on our way home. Well, he was full of even more questions and persuaded his dad to take a detour, so we ended up taking a little driving tour of the grounds. John was pretty sure we would not be allowed on the grounds due to the checkpoint, but as no one was manning it we made it through just fine.


I must say, it was quite an eerie place, especially in the rear. If it looks familiar to you, it may be that you have seen it as the setting in a movie or two...The Green Mile, The Last Castle, the horror flick Furnace, Ernest Goes to Jail, and a few more.

Afterwards, John and I joked about how a back to school, post-Christmas writing assignment might read written by our son...On my Christmas vacation I visited the state pen.





No comments: