Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Chicken Taco Soup and My Sister's Name, Her Real One



Did you know that I call my sister Sissy? Well, I do. She’s almost seventeen years older than me, my only sibling, and pretty much my second mother. Her name is Shelia and I guess I couldn’t pronounce it when I was little so I just called her Sissy and it stuck. I don’t know that I have ever called her by her real name. I do know that I misspelled it once on something kinda important. It was the invitations to our parents’ fortieth wedding anniversary celebration (that was over twenty years ago) and I spelled it Sheila. She was not, I repeat, NOT, happy with me. So, when writing her real name on things, I now always go through a little mental routine…SHE, SHE, SHE.

Anyway, this is Sheila’s, Shelia’s, Sissy’s recipe for Chicken Taco Soup. It is what she served on Halloween (a fun night, both parts) and I served this past Saturday night when my Denver Broncos played against the Patriots (a not-so-fun night). Bon appétit!

You will need:
Canned white chicken meat (2 large and 1 small - I just used the Great Value brand at Wal-mart). I guess you could boil a real chicken, but why go to that trouble?
2 cans black beans (drained)
2 cans light red kidney beans (drained)
2 cans yellow, whole kernel corn (drained)
2 cans petite diced tomatoes
1 pack McCormick’s original taco seasoning
1 pack McCormick’s chicken taco seasoning
About 14 oz. of tomato juice (I just poured it from a large bottle into one of my empty diced tomato cans)

Directions:Empty all the ingredients (except for the chicken and the seasoning packs) into a large pot and stir.
Drain the chicken, break the chunks apart, and stir it and both packs of seasonings into a skillet and brown/heat for a few minutes. Once this is done I add it to the rest in the large pot.
If you want it soupier you can add a little more tomato juice or water.
Serve with shredded cheeses and Tostitos scoops. Yummy!


1 comment:

Michelle said...

Taco Soup is the best. I haven't made it with chicken and will have to try this out.