Thursday, May 6, 2010

Serving Up Some High Quality H2O

Photograph by Touchstone Pictures


I found myself in a somewhat unusual place this afternoon around 5:30ish. I was parked in a car outside the football practice field waiting for practice to end so that I could pick up my DAUGHTER. Yep, Ren had football practice today.


Yesterday, she and a friend were approached by the school's head coach during lunch and asked if they would be interested in being the team's water girls. Apparently a couple friends on the team had recommended them. Of course, they would be interested!!!


She was soooo excited when I picked her up from school. What ensued was a game of "Guess What". You know how that one is played...


"Mom, Guess what?"

"What?"

"Guess!"

"I don't know. So and So asked you out?"

"No. Keep guessin." (we in the south tend to drop our g's quite frequently in conversation)

"So and So #2 asked you out?"

"I wish, but no. Come on. Guess!"

"You're doing better in Spanish?"

"Well, yeah, a little. But that's not it. Come on! Guess! Guess! Guess!"

"Ren, I Don't Know. What is it?"



And that's how I was informed.


We had a long talk about it at home last night weighing the issues. Conflicts with volleyball. Less time for school work. The heat. Day after day of practice. The heat. Does one really want to wait on a bunch of hot, sweaty, dirty guys hand and foot and get hot, sweaty and dirty yourself in the process? The hot, sweaty, dirty guys part was one of the pros for Ren. Oh, and throw in shirtless. The heat. We kept trying to point out that it will be a lot of work and require a lot of time. And, the heat. Tennessee summer heat. Hot, humid, hair-kinking, muggy heat.


Anyway, we've still not decided whether or not we'll let her do it. There are still some questions that need to be answered. But, in the meantime, we've agreed to let her help them out until we find out some more details and are able to make a final decision.


I have to say that, during the time I was able to watch she was doing a really good job. I know it's just filling squirt bottles, but that little bit of non-mom-choreographed -responsibility might just be good for her.


When I asked her how she liked it she said she loved it, but that she heard sounds she really doesn't want to hear again. I'd say that will be the least of it. I'm sure there are many sights, sounds, and smells that she'll be able to add to her base of knowledge should she stay long enough.

No comments: