Monday, August 26, 2013

Want To Be Even More Proud of Your Own Daughter? Watch Miley Cyrus at the VMA's.

You know it has to be bad when your 17-year-old daughter describes a musical performance by someone only three years her senior as nasty. 
"Oh my gosh, mom, it was disgusting!  Miley Cyrus is just nasty!"  Of course, she was referring to last night's broadcast of the VMA's. 
 
Yes, Hannah Montana has "grown up" (and I say that with just the teeniest bit of sarcasm).  I regret to say I gave in and, wanting to see what all the hullabaloo was about, watched a video of her performance this afternoon on YouTube.  Consider it 6 minutes of my life I will never get back (actually, more like 12 thanks to an uber-slow internet connection).

I don't know what I found most disturbing...
 
A.)  Her lizard-like tongue.  Was she seizing or trying to catch flies.  Really?  What was that?
B.)  Dancing provocatively around with a bunch of stuffed bears.
C.)  Writhing around on Robin Thicke.  I get it.  He's hot.  He also has a wife and mother who were watching.
D.)  That foam finger
E.)  The mindless people on the floor surrounding the stage clamoring to touch her.  One word...idiots.
-OR-
F.)  The fact that her mom jumped to her feet at the end of the song and seemed genuinely proud of the performance.  Should my daughter ever win some award for her acting ability, keep an A average at college or even make it through a year with no traffic tickets I can promise you I will jump to my feet in sheer joy.  If she were to ever put on some display like what I watched this afternoon I think I would...well...I honestly don't know how I would react.

All I can say is, "Thank you, God, for my daughter and the fact that she is such a good girl (even with the messy room and occasional "attitude").  And I am not being the least bit sarcastic by saying that.  I really am thankful for that.




P.S.S.  And if someone starts waving a foam finger at the next football game I just may very well wretch.  I'm not kidding, folks.  Make a banner, use a megaphone, wave umpteen shakers but let's leave the forever tainted foam fingers at home.

No comments: