Wednesday, January 9, 2013

A Blogging Birthday

Happy bloggiversary to me!  Happy bloggiversary to me!  Happy bloggiversary, dear Tire Swings!  Happy bloggiversary to me!
 
Three years ago today I wrote my first post.  Prior to that, I was only vaguely familiar with two other blogs so I really didn’t know much about the process.  I   just wanted to begin keeping a journal for my children and a blog seemed a good alternative to the traditional way (which I knew – based on previous experience – I would likely discontinue once the writing began to seem tedious). 
 
In those early days (and sometimes even now) I could spend hours on one post.  With each new thing I learned, I felt a little more accomplished.  I’m not the most tech savvy of persons so you can bet when I figured out how to make changes in html I felt like standing on my desk and yelling I’M THE QUEEN OF THE WORLD - a la Jack in Titanic.
 
I do not blog for financial gain (in three years I have earned a whopping ten bucks, a couple sets of dishes, and a month's supply of ice cream), nor do I blog for a following (though meeting new friends from the blogging community has been a nice bonus).  Now, as it was then, it is mainly for my children, family and friends.  Every now and then I will get lucky with an idea for a post that may be creative, funny or meaningful enough to appeal to the masses (i.e. people outside my immediate family) and, if I were completely honest, I would admit that it does feel good when people mention they’ve read my blog or that they enjoyed a particular post (is that just completely conceited of me?).  But, at the end of the day, my main desire is to leave a written record, so that my children can look back and say “Ohh, I remember….”

No comments: