Friday, April 8, 2011

Friday Confessional


I came across this neat idea of baring your soul called Friday Confessional hosted by Glamazon and Mamarazzi over at Dandelion Wishes. Too. Clever. I liken it right up there with 3M wall hooks and sticky notes. Anywho, I thought it might be a fun event to participate in every now and then. Don’t worry. I won’t go too deep and dark on you today. How 'bout we give it a whirl, shall we?

I confess... I am not too terribly clever. If I were Friday Confessional would be hosted by me and I would be a gazillionaire from all the money made from my invention of wall hooks and sticky notes.

Having idolized such great gals as Scarlett O’ and Suzanne Sugarbaker in my younger days, you’d think I would have developed their sense of charm. Sadly, I confess I can be somewhat the klutz. This was never more apparent than during an appearance I made at a funeral home a few years ago. Go ahead, check it out. Everyone there that night was witness to it. You might as well be, too.

I confess...I spanked my son yesterday. Yes, on occasion we opt not to spare the rod, so to speak. My hubby was mowing the yard, John-Heath, 5, was “mowing” too (on his little motorized tractor), and my daughter was gearing up for a run on the trails. We live on a somewhat large parcel of land and we keep trails mowed for just this kind of thing. Or at least that’s what I’ve been told.

Anyway, back to what some would no doubt call child abuse. I walked out on the front porch to see Ren off on her run and noticed I did not see my son anywhere. I looked in the front, in the back, and on both sides. No little boy. I came back in and called for him. Nothing. I saw John about midway up the yard, but no John-Heath. My heart sank. After about the third time to call his name (I must have sounded pretty frantic because I noticed Ren, in the distance, stop and look back at me), I see this little head come into sight from beyond a rise in the yard down next to the road. My first thought was relief. My second? It was time he learned Momma means what she says.

As I explained to him when I spanked him, I was doing it because I loved him. Our driveway is too long for him to be that close to the road. Any number of things could happen. He could get hit by a car or picked up and kidnapped. If that were to happen they would have him and be gone before I could get to him. These are things we had told him before.

Of course, his heart was hurt more than his bottom and when I said one last time, “John-Heath, mommy only spanks you because I love you”, he answered with his arms outstretched and a puzzled, tear-stained look on his face as if he couldn’t believe the words I had just uttered, “You spanked me because you loved me?”. I can only imagine he was probably thinking Yeah, right, mom. I'm not buying what you're selling. But it was the truth!

Have a great and fabulous weekend! We are finally enjoying a nice warm day here, which makes me think it will probably storm tonight. Be safe, my friends.




No comments: