Monday, April 4, 2011

Dry Land Fish - Yea or Nay?


The house in which I was raised was located in front of a large area of woods, with our deep back yard ending at its edge. I remember many times our next door neighbor and his wife walking along the outer perimeter of the woods behind their house and on in to the area behind our property on the hunt for a peculiar little thing called a dry land fish.

Now, for a while I actually thought my neighbors were just a little touched in the head. Even I knew fish couldn't live outside of water. Yet, here were our friends walking back and forth, eyes to the ground, each and every spring. One day, though, when I got the nerve to ask, I found out my neighbors weren't really crazy. They were actually looking for edible mushrooms.

I hadn't given any thought to that in several years until just the other day when one of our secretaries brought in a sack full of them. Seems there are many who find them quite tasty.

Today, I was off (John-Heath has had a fever on and off throughout the day thanks to a stomach bug going around) and googled them. According to what I read, the best time to look for dry land fish is after a good spring rain in wooded areas. Since we've had a lot of rain today I think I may have John go on the hunt for some when the weather clears. I'll let you know how they turn out if and when he finds a good batch.

Have any of you ever tried them? If so, are they a favorite treat or something you could live without?


1 comment:

Michelle said...

I have heard they are delicious. However, I have not tried the, but would love to.