Thursday, December 23, 2010

Hands Down, A Great Gift for Grandparents

I'm going to take a chance and post something risky, hoping that my mother and mother-n-law don't read this before Christmas. As neither of them has a computer I think I'll be able to get away with it.

I don't know about you but I find shopping for my parents and mother-n-law a tricky task at times. Most, how shall I say this, people of advanced age, generally have everything they need, and in today's day and age the things we want are generally bought throughout the year. Come to think of it, it's getting tougher to buy for anyone anymore.

A couple months back the kindergarten classes at my son's school sold embellished tiles as part of a fundraiser. I ordered one with John-Heath's handprint. The 6x6 tile included his handprint and name (made from Cricut-cut vinyl letters). On the back, in each corner, were felt stickers. I think the cost of the tile was ten bucks. I had originally thought of ordering 2 more to give as grandparent gifts but I decided I could save a little money and have more fun by doing them myself.
I went to Lowe's and bought some small tiles in Rialto Beige (the one I bought from school was Rialto Noce) but you could use the color/texture of your choice. I also bought two larger tiles for Ren's prints but I can't remember the name of that tile just now.

I don't have a Cricut (I was sooooo tempted to buy the one Wal-mart had for sale on black Friday) so I knew I would have to paint his name. My hand is not the steadiest so I thought paint pens would work better than a paint brush.
We made them the other night. They were so easy and very fun to make. With the felt pads on back they can be used as trivets or coasters but I also have included a plate stand/easel so they can be displayed upright.
I used

6x6 tiles for John-Heath's small hand

12x12 tiles for Ren's teenage hands

round felt-backed stickers
(Walmart)
Valspar latex enamel paint in satin black
(I bought half a pint at Lowe's and still have most of it left)

Sharpie oil-based opaque paint marker
(found at Michaels)

If you're in need of one more last minute homemade gift for a close relative this is a quick and simple one to do. And, of course, these would be great for Mother's Day, Father's Day, Grandparents' Day, and birthdays, too. Happy painting, ya'll.

1 comment:

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Tyla, I am a grandparent and I say they will love them! Merry Christmas!