Thursday, December 30, 2010

A Few Tasty Recipes for New Year's

This past Tuesday night some of my old teaching buddies came by and visited with my family (minus John-Heath). Nothing like unannounced guests when your house is as turned upside down as mine is post-Christmas. Just kidding, ya'll. This visit was pre-arranged, so there was time to clean.

I had been wanting to have my friends down for some time. It had been a while since we were all together. Now, the best thing about getting together with this group of ladies is that they... can... cook. And I don't. Well, not much anyway. Which is surprising to some because I have a pretty nice kitchen. I digress.

It seems one thing I made was a hit and I've been asked to share the recipe. I can't take much credit, though. I first saw Paula Deen making it on her cooking show the other day and looked it up on her website. Once you pick yourself up off the floor after hearing that I, Tyla, watch cooking shows, you can read on.

I'm also posting a couple other recipes of things I served and my friends brought in case you are needing a last minute idea or two for something to take to your New Year's Eve party.

Tyla's Pecan Clusters
7 oz. marshmallow creme
12 oz. bag of Hershey kisses
2 1/2 c. sugar
5 oz. can evaporated milk
4 tbsp. butter
2 1/2 cups of pecan pieces
Put the creme and the kisses in a large mixing bowl and set aside. Yes, the kisses are a pain to unwrap.
In a heavy saucepan mix the sugar and milk and then add in the butter.
Bring this just to a boil over medium heat.
Reduce heat to med. low and simmer for 8 minutes.
Pour over the creme and kisses and stir until they are melted.
Add the pecans and stir like crazy.
Drop spoonfuls of the mixture onto wax paper. Let cool for an hour.
I refrigerate mine and then remove about an hour before serving.
Depending on the size you make your clusters, you can get many from this batch.
I have made two batches so far and this last time I only had about 1/2 c. of pecans to add, so I guess they were more chocolate blobs than pecan clusters.
Check Paula Deen's website for more info. on these.
Aunt Susie C.'s Banana Punch
6 cups of water (make some warm so it will dissolve the sugar)
3 c. sugar
3 c. pineapple juice
2 c. o.j.
the juice of 2 lemons
3-4 overripe bananas (blended smooth in a blender)
ginger ale
Mix all but the ginger ale. Stir well. Freeze in a few plastic bowls. Take out of the freezer 3 hours before serving. You want it to be slushy. Pour your desired amount of ginger ale over.
You can double this recipe and keep some frozen to serve at a later date. That way, you can buy the 64 oz. cans of pineapple juice and o.j. and use it all up (or mostly up).
Aunt Susie has always made this punch for family get-togethers and it is sooo good. This was my first year to try it and I don't think I messed it up too badly. In fact, I thought it was pretty good. But, then again, anything laced with 3 cups of sugar tastes good to me.


My momma's Sausage Balls
3 c. Bisquick (or something similar)
1 lb. shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 lb. hot sausage
Mix together and form into small balls about the size of a quarter. Freeze. When ready to serve, pre-heat oven to 325 and bake for 25 minutes or so.
Momma has always made these for Christmas and I love them. She made me a batch for my party the other night (aren't mommas great?) and I still have a bag left over in the freezer. I'll be using them tomorrow night.
Debbie's Corn Dip
16 oz. frozen white corn
3 c. shredded mild cheddar cheese
1 c. mayo
1 jalapeno pepper
2 teaspoons Emeril Southwest seasoning (you can find this at Publix)
Mix and bake at 350 until bubbly (about 20-30 minutes)
Serve with Tostitos Scoops.
I had never had this before but I plan on making it tomorrow night for New Year's. It was awesome!!!
Jean's Favorite Cookies
Bag of semi-sweet chocolate morsels.
Follow the directions on the back but, instead of forming them like cookies, put them in a pan as you would brownies. Then while they are cooking give the pan a good shake so the cookies will fall.
I have had these many times and they are delish!!! There is also a neat story behind the name of the cookies. I'll have to share that with you later, if it's okay with Jean.
Bon Appetit!

3 comments:

Michelle said...

I have jotted down the corn dip recipe. Excellent! Thanks!

Julie Harward said...

Thanks for the wonderful recipes Tyla, you are such a dear lady to share them all. Have a great New Year! :D

Kim @ A Brush of Whimsy said...

Yes, I'll have some of the sausage balls, thank you! They sound delicious!