Sunday, February 28, 2010

How My Kids Will Remember Me


The Olympics are finally over. I didn't get to see much coverage of the events but I would keep track of some of the stories via the internet and Yahoo News.

I have to admit I loved watching curling. I have read several posts as to how it's not a real sport but I just found myself somewhat enamored with it. Bob Schieffer had a humorous piece in something questioning how and why people got into this game. Tennessee even has at least one curling club of which I am aware. If I lived in the eastern portion of the state I would, for sure, have to join the Great Smoky Mountain Curling Club - or at least go watch matches from time to time.

Of course, two of the more emotional stories to come from the Olympics were the luge athlete being killed during a practice run and the sudden death of Canadian figure-skater Joannie Rochette's mother shortly after arriving to watch her daughter compete.

Ms. Rochette went on to compete and, against the odds, was able to make it the podium - capturing the bronze. I read some statements she made concerning her mom and one really stayed with me - I suppose because it reminded me of the relationship I have with my own daughter. Rochette said that her mom "sometimes could be a pain in the ass" and went on to say that the two were best friends and that her mom always wanted the best for her daughter, encouraging her when needed and putting her down when that was needed, too.

I know my children, especially my daughter, will almost certainly one day say I could be a great big ole pain in the you-know-what. But I hope they will also know that I was their biggest fan.




No comments: