Friday, December 9, 2011

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year



Once, as a joke in one of my college education classes I answered a professor’s question of why do you want to become a teacher with June, July and August. This was the first question of the first day. He asked each one of us to answer aloud. I, ever the class clown, thought some comedic relief was needed to cut through the thick haze of the previously given sappy, brown-nosing, save-the-world soliloquies. My professor was not amused and I still remember just how much of the whites of his eyes I saw the moment the word “August” left my mouth. Before that day, I didn’t think it was possible for a person to open their eyes that wide. Luckily, he soon realized I could be studious as well as humorous, we became buddies, and I earned an ‘A’ in that course.

Now, even though I do love the summer, three other months are my true favorites…October, November, and December.

December is just chock full of specialness - with family get-togethers, children excitedly awaiting presents under the tree, great food, beautiful, bright decorations, good will, a touch of sadness at the ending of one year yet anticipation of the new year to come and, of course, the reason for the whole season…the celebration of the birth of our savior, Jesus.

Something else I especially love about the season is the music. To me, much of it almost seems transcendent. One of our local stations begins playing non-stop Christmas music the day after Thanksgiving and it continues until the 26th. I just love it. If you are new to Middle Tennessee and love Christmas music as much as I do, be sure to turn your dial to 92.9.

Here’s a list of some of my favorite Christmas tunes, in no particular order – well, except the first two which are my most beloved.


“O Holy Night”
(I love it when sung by John Berry)
“The Christmas Guest” – as sung by Grandpa Jones
“It’s Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas”
“Sleigh Ride”
I always loved playing this at the winter concert when I was in the percussion section in the high school band.
“Run, Rudolph, Run”
“Mary, Did You Know”
“Silent Night”
“The Gift” (aka The Very First Nightingale’s Song, as sung by Aselin Debison)
“Santa Claus is Watching You”
by Ray Stevens. Okay, so maybe some of these songs really aren’t transcendent, but I sure love them.
“The Chipmunks’ Christmas Song”
“Joy to the World”
“Ave Maria”
“Santa Baby”
“Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer”


“Little Drummer Boy”
“Angels Among Us”
“I’ll Be Home for Christmas”
“Children, Go Where I Send Thee”
I loved watching both my children perform this with their kindergarten classes.
“Auld Lang Syne”
“Same Old Lang Syne”

And, of course, all the children’s songs I use to love to sing, such as “Rudolph”, “Santa Claus is Coming to Town”, “Frosty the Snowman”, “Nuttin for Christmas”, and “All I want for Christmas is My Two Front Teeth”. Those last two I remember singing in class as a first-grader.




Well, I'm off to get ready for our high school baskbetball game. Hopefully, I'll be able to wrap up my Christmas shopping this weekend and listen to some great music as I do so. I hope you all have a great weekend, as well.



1 comment:

Heather said...

You've picked out some of the best Christmas songs! I like them all. Happy holidays!