Wednesday, December 7, 2011

I Hate to See This Gal Go. Goodbye Stone Gable.

Sunday night, I decided to catch up on some blog reading. Technically, I follow several but there are a few I always go back and read if I’ve been away from my computer, etc. for a day or two. Some are family blogs (like mine) that I read because they seem like old friends now, some are blogs -family and otherwise - that are so humorously written they have become my go-to sites when I need a good laugh, and some are blogs of the domestic nature, where I go when I need inspiration for decorating or entertaining. Stone Gable is one of the latter.

I first came across Yvonne’s Stone Gable a little over a year ago. It is chock full of prettiness. Even her weekly menus (and if you know me well, you know I am not a fan of the kitchen) are pretty and tempting and inspiring. I quickly became a fan. I even won one of her giveaways.

Well, last night upon checking in to see what great things awaited me at SG I was impressed and inspired yet again. Yvonne has decided to call it quits. That's right. She will no longer be blogging. Why does that impress me? You see, Yvonne is a Christian and feels her time spent blogging is taking away from other areas of ministry God has called her to do.

As you’ll see if you visit her blog, hers is no small-time dog and pony show like mine. Over 2,300 people actively follow SG and her stat counter indicates over a million visits to the site. She is a popular and well-loved blogger. I get all giddy when someone at my local coffee shop mentions they read my blog. I can’t imagine how it would feel to get hundreds of comments on a post or have a counter in the millions. Once last year when one of my posts logged over 600 hits I could almost feel my head swelling up to the size of a watermelon. At some level, all blogging is pure vanity because we, as humans, are vain...at some level.

I said all that to say this…walking away from such adoration would be hard, especially if it was something you deeply cared about and enjoyed doing. I cannot put into words how impressed with her I am for her having done this. Of course, I really shouldn’t be impressed. As Christians, we should always be about the business of putting God first in our lives. I don’t know about you, but this is something I fail at that more than I succeed.

So, even though I am going to miss regular updates and tips from such a talented gal, I admire her immensely for be willing to leave it all behind. Good luck, Yvonne!


2 comments:

Heather said...

After reading your post, I had to go check out Stone Gable. Boy, it truly is a beautiful blog. Now that I've found it, I'm sorry to see it go! :(

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

Tyla,
Thank you so much for your lovely post about StoneGable! You make me feel so humble... I really am overwhelmed by all the love and support!

I have been trying to keep away from the computer... leaving StoneGable feels like a "death" of sorts! Very, very hard! But I also trust God and his ability to raise the "dead" and bring great and abundant blessing to my life.

It is may prayer that I can learn to serve Him more fully.

Thanks so much for such a gracious send-off!

Have a very Merry Christmas, my friend!
xo Yvonne