Wednesday, June 16, 2010

The Itsy Bitsy Spider


While meandering through Facebook today I saw a phrase of which several people marked as having "liked". It went something like this...


Hi spider...nice spider...let me pet you...with my shoe...good spider.



I, too, am a fan of this sentiment. And all the more so since seeing a cute little brown recluse crawl across my bedroom floor last night. As I was typing the post for my blog I eyed the little booger creeping from the corner of the dresser toward my bed. I almost conducted an on-the-spot execution but something told me I should probably let John have a look at him first. So I covered him with a large jar from my vanity (after emptying out all the cotton balls) and commenced with typing.



In all of about 4 seconds John identified our visitor as a recluse. He then did a search of all the nooks and crannies in our bedroom and closets. All appeared clear. We were hopeful this was just a rogue, you know - like Jaws was for Amity Island, and there would be no more.



And then I did something I probably should not have done prior to bedtime. I surfed the WWW for information on spiders - particularly recluses. Words like "infestation" and pictures of bitten people splashed before my eyes. If any of you are looking for a really good case of the heebie jeebies then I have some sites I would recommend for your viewing pleasure. I might as well have watched Arachnophobia.



Today, I went to Wal-Mart and spent $152.00 on glue traps (used to verify infestations), foggers, fumigators, a highpowered flashlight, and a few plastic storage containers. Because even though we only saw the one and are hopeful that it was a loner, I can't help but remember that Jaws kept coming back.


No comments: