Tuesday, March 2, 2010

A Many-Colored Day


Today, the birthday of Dr. Seuss was celebrated throughout the country. Okay, in all probability this was only observed in large, daily-housing facilities for people under the ages of 10. In school houses across America children were chowing down to a breakfast of green eggs and ham to commemorate the 106th birthday of Theodor Seuss Geisel. Don't think about that too literally or you may become nauseous.

John-Heath and I got a head start on this yesterday evening when he proclaimed, "We learned about Dr. Seuss today." So we drug out a copy of Green Eggs and Ham on which to feast. His favorite part, of course, was the mention of the train. A train! A train! A train! A train! Could you, would you, on a train?


Today, at his pre-school they had the obligatory GE & H meal. Tonight at home we had meatloaf (that doesn't really have anything to do with the story). This was followed by the movie How the Grinch Stole Christmas, a bath and 4 Dr. Seuss stories (3 read by me and 1 by John).


Here's a little librarian's trivia for you...the idea for Green Eggs and Ham came about when Dr. Seuss was challenged by his friend and editor, Bennett Cerf, to write a book with fewer than 50 words.


I didn't ask Ren how her school observed this special day. Hmmm. I'll have to do that tomorrow. I'm sure she'll have loads of stories to share.



Say!

I like Green eggs and ham!

I do! I like them, Sam-I-am!

And I would eat them in a boat.

And I would eat them with a goat...

No comments: