Friday, July 22, 2011

Robert Ezra Lyles, 1930 - 2011

Now here's to Uncle Robert

May his name forever stand


And always be remembered


When we eat our Easter ham.


His earthly race is over


The curtains 'round him fall


We'll carry him on to victory


On the Wabash Cannonball.




Today, my family will be saying goodbye to my father's brother-n-law, Robert Ezra Lyles, or Uncle Robert as I always called him. He and my aunt Fairdenia (1933-2000) were the ones who began the tradition of my paternal family gathering for Easter each year. As a child, a favorite moment at any family event was of Uncle Robert, a fan of the great Roy Acuff, singing The Wabash Cannonball. Sadly, in declining health for the last few years and residing in a convalescent home, he passed away this past Tuesday.


Goodbye, Uncle Robert. You will missed.



Comments are closed for this post.

No comments: