Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Seussabration!

John-Heath pointing out a plain Sneetch, a "plain ol' Sneetch with no star on thars." He was already familiar with this story so I think they may have read it today.

Today, we celebrated the 107th birthday of Theodor Geisel, better known to anyone and everyone who ever attended school as Dr. Seuss. As is our custom, now in its 2nd year, John-Heath and I ended our evening with bedtime stories from the master of non-sense rhyming words.

This year, our reading selection included The Sneetches and Other Stories and, to my amazement, I realized that Dr. Seuss had written a story based on my own children. But, Tyla. Hadn't Dr. Seuss already passed away before either of your children had been born? Well, yes. But that's just a technicality. If you have ever read The Zax you will surely realize it is a written account of what goes on in the back seat of my family's car on any given day in which we travel with both offspring in tow. Seriously, read it - or at least Google it. The stubborn, arguing North-going Zax and South-going Zax are just code for "John-Heath" and "Ren".

For school today I sent a bag of Dr. Seuss buttons for John-Heath to share with his classmates. I had a few left over and I'm thinking of offering them to Ren to take and share with her friends tomorrow. Sophomores still think Dr. Seuss is cool. Don't they? ;)

And now, a little librarian's trivia for you...

It appears we may have been mispronouncing the name of our beloved author these past many years. According to Geisel's former collaborator Alexander Liang...

You’re wrong as the deuce
And you shouldn’t rejoice
If you’re calling him Seuss.
He pronounces it Soice.

Seems his name originally rhymed with "voice" until he decided to switch to the anglicized pronunciation most people were already using when speaking of him.

Have a great rest of the week, my friends. We're over the hump and on the countdown to the weekend.

P.S. As you can tell by the blue paint on the wall and the bedcoverings, I have yet to redo his room. All in good time. You know me, or you should by now. Procrastination is my middle name.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

We love Dr. Suess. Or at least when Cam was little we did!

I can recite Green Eggs and Ham from beginning to end...because I had to read it EVERY SINGLE NIGHT FOR THREE YEARS...before any oher book could be read!! That's okay though, that's what I'm here for!

Thanks for stopping by my blog..usually Im not an angry poster! Its just been one of those days.