Monday, January 3, 2011

Here We Go Again

With the beginning of each new year there comes a litany of resolutions, goals, desires, and/or the basic to-do lists, and yours truly is most certainly not immune to the attraction of wanting to accomplish something in the forthcoming 365 days.

Each year I tell myself I am going to lose weight, get fit, live healthier, and become more organized. In those early years I would take the time to write out my goals. Later, I would actively think of things on which I should focus and then tell John so that he could keep me on track. The past few years these goals have been more of the fleeting thought variety - sorta like this...

Tyla: Hmm, look at the calendar. It’s January 1. I really need to lose a little weight this year.
John: Hey, do you wanna go out and get a bite to eat?Tyla: Sure. Sounds great!Kids: And can we stop off somewhere for ice-cream on the way home?Tyla: Sure. Sounds great!

Actually, if I had followed through with my resolutions each of the years I’ve been making them (which has been as long as I’ve been married) I would be putting both Jillian Michaels and Adrian Monk to shame. But, of course, like so many others I fall into the 92% of Americans who fail to keep their New Year’s resolutions.

However, this year is going to be different. I can feel it in my bones. So, I’m making a list once again. And this time, I’m making it public. That way, if you see I’m not doing what I should to keep on track with these resolutions you can give me a swift kick on the backside. Those of you in Utah, Wyoming, and other various and sundry places will have to just send me a virtual kick.
For 2011, I want to...

1.) Be the kind of person God wants me to be. I guess I could stop right here. If I’d do this everything else would just fall into place.

But for the sake of argument, though, here are the rest...

2.) Be the kind of mommy every child would want to have.

3.) Live a healthier lifestyle (less of things like sugar-laden coffee, fried foods, butt in the bed on the computer, butt on the couch watching t.v. and more of things like walking, water, and vitamins)

4.) Live a more stress-free lifestyle (this one will go a long way in making numbers one, two and three doable). Don’t be so quickly and easily ruffled.

5.) Get organized. There is happiness and calmness to be found when everything else can be found. Get rid of the clothes. Realize that yard sale is never going to happen. Toss out the stained, torn & out-of-date. Donate the rest. Also, for once and for all, organize your photographs. Give them, at least, somewhat of a fighting chance should a tornado hit the house.

Well, my friends, that’s about it for this year’s list. I’ll keep you updated from time to time on how it’s going. If I suddenly, for no apparent reason, stop blogging you will know I have either died or I am not meeting my goals and I’m too embarrassed to tell you.

1 comment:

Nichole said...

You have some great goals for the year.

My mother-in-law called me on Jan. 1 to tell me it was going to be a good year..she could feel it in her bones. Thought it was funny you used the same term :o)

Have a great day!