Monday, July 11, 2011

Summer of the Swimmer

My little water dog!


Last year, we had a choice to make - go on a vacation or purchase a pool. We decided to stay put and swim. And let me tell ya, with the heat we've been experiencing in Middle Tennessee these past few days I think we made the right call. Now, I would have loved to put in an in-ground with some fantastic landscaping (Wouldn't something like this be just too cool?), but John reminded me how permanent that would be and how there may come a day when we no longer need one (i.e. kids married and/or off at college), so we went with a large above-ground. And, again, during these suffocatingly hot days our bodies don't mind one bit that it's above sea level, so to speak.

This summer is just another reminder that my little boy is growing up, as this is his first summer to swim without the use of his vest. He absoluetly loves it and thinks he's all grown up now, what with swimming with no vest and going into the first grade. Why, he's practically ready for his driver's license.

Well, I think I need to get off the computer and get in the water. What about you? Does your family enjoy swimming in the summer?
Jumping with Renny. She loves swimming but has her limit. John-Heath, on the other hand, would stay in it from morning until bedtime if we allowed him, which makes it hard to find time to finish staining the deck.



Doing the "frog". We call it this because it is how a frog we once found in the pool looked when I tossed it out.


Taking a moment to just relax and take in some rays. Those are Ren's feet at the top of the picture.


Perfecting his cannonball.



Happy being together and not fighting - a rare sight to behold.




3 comments:

Heather said...

I am so jealous! It is hot here, and I would love to jump in the pool like John Heath. I think you made a great choice...it sounds as though he'll be entertained most of the summer! :)

Michelle said...

We put in a large above ground pool a few years ago. It has been a nice investment! Boiling hot here today and will be 99, without the heat index, tomorrow.

Sonya@Beyond the Screen Door said...

Looks cool and refreshing! Such a great place to hang out thru the summer! Relaxing too if you're not getting splashed by those cannon balls! LOL!