Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Easter Recap 2012…Part 2…The Extended Family Arrives

 In addition to celebrating this most wonderful holiday with my immediate family, I have also long been able to share it with extended family on my dad’s side. 
Recently Updated5My dad’s family – minus a few.
We would usually gather at my Aunt Fair’s house.  “Fair” is short for Fairdenia.  Isn’t that just a wonderful Southern name?  It always reminded me of a flower and was the perfect name for my aunt who had such a gentle nature.  Once Aunt Fair was no longer able to host the lunch, and in the years since her death, it has moved around from place to place. 
I think John and I have had it for three of the last four years.  I would say four out of the last four years but two years ago we had to cancel when several of us became sick and/or hurt at the last minute, including yours truly who came within a minute of puking on the piano bench at church and spent the rest of the day in bed. 
Recently Updated4 Daddy – now the eldest of the bunch.
Now, my dad’s side of the family enjoys its fun and games so we always have a good time.  There is the traditional egg hunt - which has the potential to win you lots of prizes and/or some $$$, followed by an egg toss for those daring enough to participate.  Plus, we’ve been known to have some good relays now and then and the occasional pageant.  You can’t appreciate true beauty until you’ve seen a loved one dressed as a rabbit – or in drag.
Speaking of drag, I remember the first time I hosted our get-together.  Each year, everyone tries to bring a bunch of loot to be offered as prizes for the egg hunt.  Typically, this will include mostly items the youngest kids will enjoy – kites, bubbles, sidewalk chalk, and the such – but there are other prizes, too, including small bottles of lotion, stationery, cards, etc. 
Recently Updated3 Getting ready to eat and Megan’s festive cookies (she asked that I include them in my blog.  Well, Megan, here you go.)
As I was saying, the first year the celebration was at my house I happened to have a large stack of new CDs (still in cellophane wrappers) that I had won at some event, so I decided to go through them and pick out the ones I thought the kids might enjoy to use as prizes.  There was only one that fit the bill…a soundtrack to some kiddie movie.
Well, smack dab in the middle of the prize giveaway I heard an adult voice exclaim Whaaaat!!! Who brought THAT as a prize?  One of our wee lads had just won himself the copy of my donated soundtrack…The Rocky Horror Picture Show.  Turns out, it wasn’t a kiddie movie after all.  I was horrified (pardon the pun).
Recently Updated2 Clockwise from top left:  Tossing eggs, lined up for the egg toss, numbering prizes, kids hunting eggs, cousin Tammy dividing $$$ for the prize eggs.
I learned a valuable lesson that Easter…before donating movie soundtracks to be used as prizes for children, ALWAYS find out the plot first. ;)

No comments: